You: “Alexa, I’m looking for a job where I can build products
straight out of science fiction.”
Alexa: “I have found matching jobs for you in the Alexa Machine
Learning team in Aachen, Germany. What role are you looking for?”
You: “I’d like to work on making you understand human language
even better that you do today.”
Alexa: “Wonderful. There are multiple roles in Aachen where
you can do that, here are the details … “
The Alexa Machine Learning team aims to create a delightful experience for Amazon’s customers by making Alexa understand any spoken request quickly and accurately. As a scientist on our team, you will work alongside internationally recognized experts to develop novel algorithms and modeling techniques to build and advance state-of-the-art spoken language understanding systems. Your work will directly impact millions of our customers in the form of products and services that make use of speech and language technology. You will gain hands-on experience with Amazon’s heterogeneous speech, text, and structured data sources, and large-scale computing resources to accelerate advances in spoken language understanding.
As a Senior Scientist on our team, you will build,
extend and optimize cutting-edge spoken language understanding
systems and conduct core research aimed at advancing the state of
the art. This involves:
- Researching the latest modeling techniques. Understanding trade-offs between competing approaches, and identifying the ones that are likely to have real impact on our customers.
- Implementing and improving modeling tools, training recipes and prototypes utilizing programming skills in Python, Java and/or C++.
- Conducting experiments to assess the quality of speech recognition and natural language processing models and to study the effectiveness of different modeling techniques.
- Analyzing field data in order to identify areas of possible improvement or enhancement of the system.
- Presenting and discussing ideas and results within the team and with internal stakeholders.
- Providing technical guidance to other team members, and participation in strategic planning and project management for technical initiatives.