Would you like to be part of a public policy team focused on increasing awareness of e-commerce and the associated opportunities for small and medium-sized businesses, job creation, and economic growth, in the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Member States? Do you have government affairs and the technology public policy experience necessary to communicate to GCC Member State policymakers how Amazon is unlocking these opportunities?
The Manager will join a growing, dynamic team and be able to immediately and directly enhance Amazon’s advocacy on a broad range of public policy issues. The Manager will research, define, execute, and manage key public policy issues as they relate to our work on behalf of customers and sellers in Saudi Arabia, UAE, and Egypt in particular, and provide additional coverage for Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, and Bahrain. We are looking for a talented, innovative, and well-connected individual to represent Amazon before policymakers that are strategically important to our business in each of these countries. The successful candidate will proactively build relationships with key policymakers, decision makers and executives in government and other relevant organizations and help prioritize international, national, and state-level government public policy issues that affect us. The Manager will address policy risks to the business as well as advance strategic business opportunities and initiatives in these market segments. This position will also lead Amazon’s participation in key business associations and coalitions that are critical to advancing our public policy and business objectives. You will become familiar with all aspects of our business, and interface directly with the business units in the region.
The successful candidate will ideally be based in Dubai, but Riyadh or Abu Dhabi may also be possible, and will report to the Senior Manager for Global Trade Policy in Seattle and participate in the EMEA Public Policy team. The successful candidate will:
- Develop, lead, and implement government affairs advocacy objectives and policy/political priorities for Amazon;
- Represent key positions directly and through industry associations/coalitions to the central and state-level governments throughout the region to enable an unrestricted, transparent, and technology- friendly regulatory environment;
- Work collaboratively and transparently with the International Public Policy team and Amazon business units to ensure alignment between core business priorities, public policy goals, and “go to market” strategies;
- Assess and communicate potential regulatory opportunities and threats, develop mitigation or enhancement strategies and policy positions, and coordinate external advocacy efforts, outreach programs, and key initiatives in concert with Amazon’s business objectives;
- Facilitate high-level meetings between Amazon executives and key stakeholders, including senior government officials, regulators, and industry association and alliance partners to promote and advocate the company’s public policies;
- Determine, maintain, and staff appropriate corporate membership opportunities in industry associations/coalitions and ensure appropriate utilization of high-judgment, high-integrity outside consultants.
The successful candidate must be inquisitive, proactive, and enthusiastic about technology. They must enjoy working hard, being continually challenged, and must demonstrate sound judgment, even in ambiguous situations.