Amazon Web Development Engineer
The EC2 UX Team develops the EC2 and VPC websites (or Consoles as we call them) designed to provide a simple way to provision instances, networks and a broad set of application services in the Cloud over the Internet.
Our Consoles allow you to use what you need, when you need it. Choose from multiple instance types, operating systems, and software packages. Configure the memory, CPU and storage optimal for your choice of operating system, application and business need. Interact with instances in the Cloud as if it was your own onsite bare metal machine, while retaining full control.
With the EC2 and VPC Consoles, IT resources are only ever a click away. You can stop your instance while retaining your data, copy it to another region and then restart it again. Attach network interfaces, create snapshots, and control security all from a web browser. If this sounds exciting to you, and you have exceptional web development skills, we may have the perfect opportunity waiting for you.
The ideal candidate should be obsessive about creating the perfect user experience for millions of users and strive for continuous improvement. Creating the perfect user experience on the web requires a blend of technical knowledge, customer obsession and agility. Our web systems need to be extremely responsive and highly scalable. If working in a dynamic and delivery focused environment interests you, this may be the perfect role for you.
You will need to demonstrate a breadth and depth of knowledge in the following disciplines: Web Development
- You understand the trade-offs between usability, performance, internationalization and localization, cross-browser compatibility, obfuscation and optimisation, and cutting edge user interface implementation
- You have a working knowledge of UI design principles and are able to apply style guides to new interface use cases.
- You regularly work in collaboration with UI designers on website interface and interactivity
- You understand how web applications work, perform and scale. You have superb troubleshooting and problem analysis skills
- You recognize and adopt best practices in web development engineering: design, testing, version control, documentation, build, deployment, and operations.
- You have a working knowledge of the latest UI technologies, frameworks and concepts including HTML 5, REST, jQuery, AJAX, CSS3, SOA, Responsive design
- In an MVC software model, your work is primarily focused on the view of the application, and occasionally the controller.
- You are a heavy consumer of APIs, focusing highly on integrating them into usable interfaces. You will occasionally do API definition.
- You solve problems at their root, stepping back to understand the broader context.
- You develop pragmatic solutions. You build flexible/scalable systems without over-engineering and choose simple, straightforward solutions over more complex ones. Where existing solutions are known, you use them.
- You understand fundamental data structures and algorithms and know how, when and when not to use them.
- You anticipate and prevent future problems from occurring
- Design and implement features that enable screen readers to interpret what is displayed on the screen for a visually impaired user
- You recognize and utilize user interface design patterns to solve business problems with highly accessible and usable web applications.
- You build an understanding what users do and why they do it to ensure the solution meets their needs and is fit for purpose.