We’re a team within Relational Database Services (RDS), one of the fastest growing businesses in AWS, and we’re looking for seasoned, talented and operationally driven software engineers in Sydney. Our service provides managed, reliable, scalable and highly available relational databases, on demand. We minimize the effort required to maintain SQL databases by automating administrative tasks like backup / restore, scaling CPU / RAM / storage and replication / failover for high availability, allowing our customers to spend their valuable time focused on building their businesses. For more information about RDS, please visit http://aws.amazon.com/rds
. About You
You’ve built a lot of software – shipped products, created platforms, tools and modules, worked with every framework under the sun and have built big, distributed, API-driven systems with thousands of users. You’re as excited as we are about learning every day, and solving really hard engineering problems that no one else has. You've also operated services and/or scaled software at a high level; ensuring customer up-time and customer experience are your foremost concerns.
You're passionate about software quality, repeatability, testability and maintainability in production. You are known to your co-workers as the go-to person for answers to questions that begin with the phrase “what’s the best way to…” – even though your answers tend to start with “help me understand what you’re trying to accomplish by…”. When you need clarity, you go to the product owner – or even a user – and talk to them until you get it. With stakeholders and other team members you are diplomatic, persuasive, and usually right. You understand the challenges associated with operating a large-scale system in production, and your designs and implementations reflect that understanding.
When you’re wrong, you’re happy to learn something. You build software quickly, but properly (so that you don’t have to go back to it later). You know what unit tests are and don’t implement software without them. Shipping on time with high quality makes your heart feel warm.
You're operationally focused and firmly believe that if you ship it, you run it. You instrument your code, and help others instrument theirs. You have an interest in software performance, love metrics, and never stop digging for root cause when an issue arises. What You’ll Do
- Deliver results on projects, at a rapid pace, while communicating clearly with engineers, managers and stakeholders, and adapting to changing requirements
- Drive and lead software architecture, designs and code reviews (your own and other team members’)
- Identify, evaluate and suggest mitigation strategies for risks during design
- Engineer operationally driven software solutions which automate everything and scale over time
- Design and implement features for new and existing products, features, APIs, platforms and frameworks
- Mentor junior team members, helping to maintain appropriate unit test coverage, code documentation, software structure and supportability
- Distill and communicate technical concepts to more junior developers and stakeholders
- Advocate for the right outcomes with data, conviction and diplomacy
- Drive standards for software design, architecture, process and development.